Saturday, January 13, 2024

Stop being selfish with your resolutions

There are thousands of things one can choose to 'work on' and 'aim for' in their life. Everything can be improved upon. Even by the 1% percent rule- being 1% better today than you were yesterday will leave you leaps and bounds better after 365 days. That's the effect of compounding interest. One of the goals that I wanted to tackle in 2024 was my haystack hair. It is so dry and rats so easily. Also, my face. I wanted to find the right products, makeup, and routine to give me a young, dewy, glowing complexion. 

But why?

Why is it that of all the things I can work on, all the resolutions I can make- I picked things pertaining to the imperfect things about my appearance? Do I struggle with low self-esteem? Do I seek the approval of others on superficial levels because that is all I find valuable?  Am I so shallow that my preferences in others relate to these same things? Who am I judging and comparing myself to, that I find myself coming up short? Am I lowering my potential because of  the bar that society has set?

Do you know what you want in life? 
Can you articulate the physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual goals for your one, singular life?
If you can- I would ask you "Are those yours, or society's?'.
If you can't- I would ask you "How do you know what to go towards?". How do you know what to ask God for if you don't know what you want? (Hint- let's want to be closer to God).

The purpose of life is not a wrinkle free face, an immaculate retirement portfolio, or even the knowledge and wisdom of the ages. What will those things gain you? What will those things protect you from? How will those things feed your soul? I suppose that desiring these things, in and of themselves, isn't a bad thing, but ultimately, in our striving for love, joy, and belonging they are mere crumbs leading us away from the true source of all that we search for and need. I believe every person on this earth feels a restless and urgent need for something that they can't put into words. That feeling of lost car keys, waking up late after the alarm didn't go off, or having a word just on the tip of your tongue- leaves you feeling off kilter a bit or even unknown to yourself. 

So, what is the purpose of life? What should we be resolving to do every New Year? What is our aim and our goal? What is a worthwhile quest for this one singular life? What is good and noble and right?
Truthfully, we are wise enough to know that the material and sense feeding things of this world will not quench our need for love, acceptance, and belonging. The wonderful truth of it all is that when we lead our lives from a place of being loved and accepted, then all we can do is thrive; all we can do is live into other people's lives for the better. Our Lord God loves and accepts us just the way we are. 

What does that look like on any given Sunday, Tuesday, or New Year's Day?
It involves the acceptance of being a part of something bigger than just your one life. 
It means a reconciliation between the life society has placed on a pedestal and the ultimate reality of finding the community of relationships that lend purpose and meaning to your existence. Living for your joy and happiness will assure your misery. Living each day as an opportunity to show loving kindness to others will assure you a life of fulfillment and meaning. Share a smile, hold a door, wish someone good luck, listen intently, give a hug, provide a hot meal - these are the things that love does. The purpose of life- is to be love, to act lovingly, and to maintain those abilities in the worst of times- just like Jesus did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment